Whether it's a side hobby or living out your dream you can still win even if you bail. It's all about how you define success. I've touched on this in my past blog about failure but I'll go into more specifics here. Whenever setting a goal most people identify the win as completing the specific goal. That is a uuuuge risk. You are setting yourself up for 1) being disappointed 2) missing the biggest lessons 3) feeling successful/fulfilled now... first how many times have you bought something online and by the time it's delivered you are disappointed? We put so much weight on the result/goal that it rarely lives up to our expectations. Second you miss the lessons learned and fun during the road to the goal. How often is the road-trip before the destination the most exciting part... there's inside jokes, anticipation being build and snapchats to make other people jealous. It's the best. Last, if you are able to feel successful/fulfilled now, why wait until after you've accomplished a goal?
In order to be in the feeling success now mindset let's look at how I got there. So here's what I did for my blog, I asked...
If I create a blog and I quit after five blogs what can I take away from that experience to consider it a success?
1) I will have taken action in a time where I’m very hesitant
2) I will develop more skillful and articulate ways to get my message across
3) It will allow me to get out my emotions and thoughts onto paper/online
4) I’ll learn about social media, SEO, branding, promotion, creative content
5) It may help one or more people relate and inspire others
6) It may lead me to finding another side passion or purpose (coaching, podcasting, new industry, etc.)
7) I’ll be 100% accountable it’s nobody else’s “fault” for posting blogs
8) It will help establish another habit that is positive
9) It’s specific and attainable but challenging goal
10) it will be fun and is something I’m interested in currently
By outlining wins I can hang my hat on during a commitment to a goal I'm able to be in a positive mindset and enjoy the process. Even when things get hard it's easier to welcome al the ups and downs and not get discouraged. And lastly, if you realize that goal no longer serves your vision, it wasn't a waste of time.
So long story short... if this is my last blog I win... It's not... but you get the idea.
Normal guy with comedic tendencies... introverted with extroverted tendencies... yogi with stressful tendencies... over 30 years old with under 30 year old tendencies